attaching forces to objects

xcaseyx

one thing I haven't quite figured out how to do is attach a force to an object. 

in cinema 4d Id simply reference the objects center and attach the force to that location. 

in houdini I haven't figure out how to say use an imported alembic animation as the location for a wind force. 

simplified version..  I have a sphere, I want wind to constantly push away from the sphere (so -z of sphere) that way when I animate the sphere its always pushing the particles backward in -z

Im sure this is something simple that Im missing.

Hey Casey!

One easy way is to use an origin() hscript expression. This can retrieve global transform values. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that rotations differ in terms of objects and forces. Objects use Euler rotations, forces use directional vectors... So, there is some translation that has to be done (May make for a pretty long expression).

Probably a simpler way would be to use a chopnet to handle the value retrieval, translation, and setting of the force values. If I have time today I will try and pass you a file.

Edited by bandini

thanks adam! 

I actually figured this out too, which works just perfectly for this setup. 

popwind into the pyro objects advection using the geo that Im already emitting from. bad a bing, even better than just pushing it behind the actor because I only really wanted to make sure it had a sorta motion inherited look.

Im going to play with what you posted as well for another effect Im working on though. 

and if you do have time Id love to pick apart a reference file, but I know you're busy.

**********update

I think basically what Im looking for is how to drive bouyacny direction via an objects -z

Edited by xcaseyx