Yacht Decking UV/Texture Mapping

Hi Guys,

I'm nearing the end of the tunnel for my project and I'm getting to some of the little details! Thanks again for the help so far.

I've modelled a yacht in Rhino and I've been using Vray for the rendering so far. I'm now using Mantra for the animation side and I'm struggling to achieve the same effect as in Rhino.

I basically want to stretch a single wooden plank image onto individual surfaces which represent planks. 

Here's an example:

post-14704-0-95741800-1447164707_thumb.j

You can see that the planks need to be individual since the boards wrap into the centre etc.

I can either convert into polys (triangles) in Rhino and import or import Nurbs go from there. When I've tried to import an OBJ from Rhino, I can't seem to wrap the texture, it simply projects it without 'curving' it as it does within Vray for Rhino. Is it because it's triangles? I've tried using Edge loop and UV Pelt but I'm not sure about the workflow.  

Here's an image of the decking and a wood texture.

post-14704-0-85444400-1447165239_thumb.j

post-14704-0-12439300-1447165270_thumb.j

Here's a sample of the decking OBJ: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32kk718z65pogrp/Decking%20Sample.obj?dl=0

Thanks again for any help!

Kyle

Edited by Fostertron

Thanks very much Craig!

Thanks for your time. I'll have a good look at these nodes and create the scene from scratch using yours as reference. I notice that the texture on one of the planks is stretched compared to the others:

post-14704-0-99298800-1447239411_thumb.j

I assume it's a problem with my model data but what do you think might be controlling this?

Thanks again,

Kyle

Hi Craig,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks again for your time. That seems to have done the trick for some reason, I'm not sure why but your 'nasty' attempt looks really good to me!

It's perfect for what I need especially considering the scale and distance at which I'll be rendering.

Thanks again,

Kyle