Object integration into Wave Sim

Paint!

Hey all,

So I have done some tutorials here and on Digital Tutors and decided to have a mess around with the Ocean FX tab. My aim was just to use the wave layer and to have the boat that I have gotten from the tutorials roll around and move through the waves.

The issue I'm having is getting the boat to adopt the motions of the wave. Whenever I did this with flip fluids I would have object merged the object in a separate node, created a new normal into the dopimport that would inherit the movement of said waves and then copy that back into the object. In following that same train of thought I attempted it but I can't get it to work?

Even though the wavetanklayer_sim is basically a DOP network does it count as one? Do i need to use another node other than dopimport in the emit (which you can find in the project file below) or have I just configured it wrong?

But maybe this isn't clear

In the 2nd scene attached called Barrel I have a flip fluid sim with a barrel-esque model that I made whilst learning flip fluids. The model has inherited the movement of the waves and as such it shifts around the waves as they move.

I understand how to make that happen here since inside the EMIT node I created I've copied a normal back into the barrel after using the embed in fluid tool.

My query is, if I'm not using a flip fluid tank but instead using a wave layer sim. How do I go about it there? Do I still use merge object to fluid and then go about making it ride on the waves like the barrel's EMIT node? Whenever I try that once I've set a dopimort told it to fetch geo from the dop netowork which I have set as my wavetanklayer sim then houdini just crashes?

I find it hard to believe that this is only achievable in a Fluid tank and not a Wave tank. 

I realise I have posted this in general questions but have gotten no response. I'm guessing I posted in the wrong place. Any help would be amazing!

barrel.hip

wavetest.hip