emitting coloured smoke from a texture map

Alex Whyte

Hi all,

In jumping from 3dsmax to houdini, one thing still hasn't become obvious to me which I thought you fellows might be able to help with. 

Let's say, for example, I have an animated character walking along that has uv's and a texture map setup. What is the general technique for emitting smoke from this character that inherits the colour from the texture? From what I understand I can achieve it by scattering particles which lookup the texture colour, then create an extra colour volume which is advected by the velocity field in the pyro solver...is this how you would go about it?

The reason I ask, is that in creating this in 3dsmax it is as simple as selecting the geo you want to emit from and feeding it your texture. It works very simply and with the above method in houdini I've had mixed results in terms of what actually happens to the colour being advected?

The second reason why I ask is that another technique I use pretty much all the time in 3dsmax is emitting from a noise texture that phases over time. Again, I haven't quite found the workflow in houdini yet for this. I tried animating noise procedurally in CHOPS and feeding that into a colour map which drives a bunch of scattered points for the emission of the pyro, but I found houdini crashed a lot when trying to play around with the noise in CHOPS and the solve became quite heavy as I needed lots of points to get the detail in the noise texture..

..I guess what I am really asking is, is there a way to emit pyro from an object driven by it's texture without scattering points?

Cheers

Alex