exporting alembic from SOPs

tottman1

Hey, does anyone know why there would be a difference when exporting an Alembic file directly from a SOP node than from the DOPnet? I want to add higher res pieces post-sim in SOPs, however, i seem to get different exports from the two... 

The export directly from the DOP node creates an Alembic scene which is around 85mb in size and keeps all the objects as separate entities, which is how i want it to be. However, if i export from the SOP node, to attach the high-res geo, i end up with a scene file of 762mb and i only get one entity. I appreciate that adding the higher res geo will add some weight to the file but the excess bulk seems to come from the fact that the export compresses all the information into one entity, which is actually no use to me as I plan to export the Alembic file to FBX, keeping all as separated KF objects.

Does anyone know how i can do a Rop Alembic Export from the SOP node to match the export i get directly from the DOP node, i.e with all of the entities exported separately?

ok, i fixed that last issue where the high-res geo wasnt attaching properly. It was because i had duplicated my previous voronoi node which has the "Connectivity Partition" set to "None" which allows me to set clustering but not activate it until later with the glue instead. Once i changed the high res geo's Voronoi "Connectivity Partition" to "Overwrite piece numbering" it fixed the problem. 

I have attached the new file now with that fix in, hopefully someone can take a look now as to the alembic export issue problem i originally came here with... 

To see the issue, try to export the alembic file from both rop_alembic_output nodes and then import them both back in as Alembic Scenes. You will see that one has all the geo as separate nodes whereas the other just gives you one node with all the nodes combined, i guess packed...

rop_alembic_test_sop.hip