Constraint to deforming static objects!

Navneet Arora

Hello people, 

Is it possible to stick constraints to deforming static objects because it follows the active rbd object motion but not the static ones. i have tried using override with sop and other methods but none of them seem to work.

I have created constraints on first frame of the timeline and now the mesh is deforming so i want the constraints to remain attached to it while detaching as the object becomes active and then it should follow active rbd movement.

Regards,

It's a pain... I've attached a file with some notes in the file.  It's a little messy and make some assumptions, but should hopefully get the idea across. Naming plays a big factor here for my setup to work right. Also, I didn't have time to set it up with orientation attributes at the moment, but that is doable if you create an initial orient attribute and update it properly in the dop network (rotations are tricky though). P.S. It doesn't work with glue. Not sure if that's possible or not. I have a switch for hard/spring constraint. It should also work with conetwist with some minor modifications.

rbd_deforming_static_constraint.hiplc

Edited by Solitude
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Solitude said:

It's a pain... I've attached a file with some notes in the file.  It's a little messy and make some assumptions, but should hopefully get the idea across. Naming plays a big factor here for my setup to work right. Also, I didn't have time to set it up with orientation attributes at the moment, but that is doable if you create an initial orient attribute and update it properly in the dop network (rotations are tricky though). P.S. It doesn't work with glue. Not sure if that's possible or not. I have a switch for hard/spring constraint. It should also work with conetwist with some minor modifications.

rbd_deforming_static_constraint.hiplc

Thanks for this solitude, i really think this has lot of potential and i think it could help in lot of things. Is it possible to simplify a bit?

Regards

4 hours ago, Solitude said:

At it's core it can't be simplified by much, but with some creative otl making it could definitely be made more user friendly. 

Hey solitude , i was trying to do something with the deforming stuff using your technique but it doesn't seem to work, can you please check?. it seems to destroy my constraints.

Regards

rbd_deforming_static_constraint2.hiplc

9 hours ago, Navneet Arora said:

Hey solitude , i was trying to do something with the deforming stuff using your technique but it doesn't seem to work, can you please check?. it seems to destroy my constraints.

Regards

rbd_deforming_static_constraint2.hiplc

I opened up the file, but don't quite get what you're after. You have clusters of boxes that are animated... what exactly are you wanting to constrain to what? 

Also, the setup doesn't work with glue. I noticed that you put a glue constraint there. Glue is a bit different than a regular constraint.

1 minute ago, Solitude said:

I opened up the file, but don't quite get what you're after. You have clusters of boxes that are animated... what exactly are you wanting to constrain to what? 

Also, the setup doesn't work with glue. I noticed that you put a glue constraint there. Glue is a bit different than a regular constraint.

Actually i am gluing clusters together,so that as they move forward indivual clusters start to fall and break into different pieces as they hit they ground, is there anywork around to get it working with glue?

Just now, Solitude said:

You just need to delete the constraints in that case. You can have a deforming object pretty much how it is set up now, and then just delete the constraint prims in the sop solver to make the pieces break off when you want them to. 

Yes i tried that Ian , but somehow it didnt seem to work. Because the constraints didnt stick to deforming geo . Can you please try that in my hip?

thanks

The constraints just represent the relationship between the pieces. When you're working with them in the sop solver they don't typically move at all. The viewport shows them moving in dop level, but the actual relationship geo is not animated. That said, I have that in the setup to move them to world space and then back. You can remove them in between those nodes when you want them to be unglued.  Most of this is covered in the bullet masterclass video here, which I suggest you watch: https://vimeo.com/56916407  around 1hr24min. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 10:48 AM, Solitude said:

The constraints just represent the relationship between the pieces. When you're working with them in the sop solver they don't typically move at all. The viewport shows them moving in dop level, but the actual relationship geo is not animated. That said, I have that in the setup to move them to world space and then back. You can remove them in between those nodes when you want them to be unglued.  Most of this is covered in the bullet masterclass video here, which I suggest you watch: https://vimeo.com/56916407  around 1hr24min. 

Hey solitude,

What if i have to make setup work with glue, i understand that glue is very different from constraints but i have to make glue attached to deforming geo and when it is active it should follow the rbd movement and the rest of inactive ones should follow deforming object.

2 minutes ago, Solitude said:

Then you should just attach them in sops, so they move how you want, and then activate them when you want to activate them by fetching their active attribute. Don't over complicate with some deforming constraint setup.

if i activate them in sops then i have to use override with sops and that resets every frame so that is a problem , can you please check my file once, what i want is that individual clusters have been glued together and now i want each cluster to fall separately and break as they have a certain impact. 

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...