Curl noise question

Hi guys,

So I have a question regarding the curl noise vop. I notice that as I adjust the frequency of the curl noise vop to be lower, the resulting magnitude of the vectors also decreases. I don't understand the curl noise vop as well, but I wasn't expecting magnitude to decrease with frequency. I'm sure there is a good explaination. I'm not sure if anyone would care to elaborate more about he curl noise vop or point me to good resources to understand it better?

Thanks!

Hi Nelson,

The amplitude of the Curl is proportional to the gradient of the vector field It is fed (which by default is a perlin noise vector field).

The gradient is the derivative of a 3d vector, so in other words the rate of change. If the rate of change is high, you will get high values on the curl.

So when your input is a high frequency noise, the noise feature gets very small and very varied, which results in vectors flying all around the place. Hence, a high rate of change.

A nice pdf on how It's calculated can be found here http://platforma-kooperativa.org/media/uploads/curl_noise_slides.pdf

I hope I was of help, ask if anything doesn't make sense :)

Edited by ciliath
  • Like 1