Octane, Redshift / Volume Shadows (and volume light “bounce”)

I am considering buying Octane and I have a question. Is Octane (in Houdini) able to recreate the same effect, as Mantra in the attachment? Most important are those bright areas (A/glow) and deep shadows (B). If anybody would be so kind and make such a scene for me to test the render speed?

Scene file is attached.

As regards Redshift, it can do it but you have to tune the complexity of parameters:
https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/9607/
http://docs.redshift3d.com/Default.html#I/Volume Rendering.html

octane.JPG

geo_light_-_rs_-_v1.hiplc

Edited by ikoon

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Tim directly, because he knows Octane and made this great volume shader.

He was so kind and sent me the attached scene. So if anybody is interested, go ahead and try it. I am unfortunately getting an error when opening the scene. I should also notice, that if you like Tim's shader, please consider contributing here.

If anybody has a clue, why am I getting that error, please let me know. The not-watermarked render is Tim's render.

render.png

octaneglow_demo.hiplc

error2.PNG

As regards Redshift, I have quite succeeded. I had to help it with fake emission (driven by another VDB from points > ramp Volume VOP > temperature) Scene file is attached, if somebody is interested. If anybody can do a better setup without fake emission I will be glad.

rs7.PNG

geo with helpfile - v1 - emissionhiplc.hiplc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...