How Do I Apply A Texture To Polygonal Soccerball ?

Dear users:

I modeled a soccerball and now want to apply a texture to the faces of the soccerball. The monkey tutorial that comes with Houdini which shows pelting is not very clear to me and I'm not sure how I would apply any of that tutorial to this exercise. What I'd like to know is:

1. How to select faces and apply UV info to them (by faces I mean the Hexagonal and Pentagonal patches on the soccerball)

2. How to import the square texture into Houdini Escape (I'm not sure if this version has COPs or not--the Sidefx website said that Compositing is a standalone called HALO but I did see an option to go to the COP desktop--so I'm confused about that)

3. How do I show my texture in the UV window of the viewport

4. How do I map the socerrball faces into the UV viewport.

5. How do I finally apply the texture to the faces once everything is mapped out in the UV viewport (Is it just a matter of drag and drop or what?)

Sorry it's a bit much :D but I'm not keen on any of this just yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

-penciline

I think there are a couple of tutorials of texturing floating around that could help. For starters, pelting is definitely overkill for a soccer ball.

In your SOP, start with your soccer ball, append a UVTexture SOP (the defaults should be fine). Now in the viewport hit 'Space+5' to see the uv's. (To go back to perspective hit 'Space+1' if you are starting from a default setup) You can then use the UVEdit SOP to do your editting in uv's as you would use Edit SOP in 3D. That should get you started.

Take care,

George.

I found the tutorials I was thinking of

http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/cd2_5.5.1...ials/texturing/

The watermelon one should be what you're looking for to get started.

Good luck,

George.

19178[/snapback]

Thanks George for that link. I've viewed the tutorials. Houdini 5 which they're using is a bit different from Houdini 7 in terms of the interface, so now I'll try to apply what I've learned in the tutorials to my project and hope I get it right. If I need more help I'll post some more questions. Thanks again. :)

Sincerely,

-penciline