Copy To Points problem

Lister

I'm running into a problem with the new Copy to Points node in 16. I'm running through one of Rohan Dalvi's tutorials, the hard surface modeling one, and the step that I'm at is to copy a profile to the points of a partial circle and skin the result. The problem is that the copies of the primitive have their primitive normals facing in opposite directions depending on whether the copy is on the negative or the positive x side of the x axis, so the skin fails to produce a continuous smooth surface- at x=0, the geometry pinches. And of course the resulting geometry has some primitive normals facing in and the others facing out.

I've attached a simple version of the problem. I'm not sure if this is because I can't set the Up vector in the new Point node? I'm setting it directly in an Attribute Wrangle node.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm sure it will be some simple thing that I'm missing, but I haven't opened Houdini in several months and I'm really rusty.

skin_normal_problem.hiplc

My preferred way of doing something like this is the polyframe node. Just swap the "Tangent Name" to up and you're good to go. Also unless you're carrying through a specific attribute then you probably want to turn off "Copy Point Attributes" in your copy sop.

polyframeUp.PNG

Thank you very much for the help, I don't know why I didn't think to just do that to start with- probably got too locked into following the steps of the tutorial.

I'd still like to know why the facing for the primitives in the copies flipped when crossing the x axis but now I can move forward, thanks so much.