How to move forward with adding window holes to my brick walls?

Hartman-

Hey all!

I'm pretty stuck in a rut trying to think my way through what I want to accomplish with a brick tool I've been working on. 

Currently I can feed in a box, tube, or an L-shaped box that I've modeled and I can get well stacked bricks around the perimeter. What I'm stuck on is then taking this and adding in holes for windows/doors/etc. Similar to what is seen here: https://letshoudini.wordpress.com/2016/06/19/031-procedural-modeling-for-destruction/

What I want to be able to do is copy a pre-fractured brick to the points, like the simple box I have now in the attached hip file, with rotations to help vary the layout a bit. Thus, should I boolean out holes from the mesh after generating bricks? Maybe taking into account where windows are (will be) and then not placing brick points there? (then I would have to have half bricks to copy). Not sure the booleans would behave as I want to be able to instance high detail geo to the pieces after simulation. The solution in the link looks to be a boolean as the simulation then only runs with simple bricks clustered to add some interest to their breakup (https://letshoudini.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/037-earthquake-building-collapse-rd-01/).

I don't think I'm seeing this problem clearly right now and would really appreciate some nudges in a direction to help grease the logic wheels! 

Hartman-

BuildingForDestruction.hiplc

• 2 weeks later...

I would just copytransform bricks, then isolate ones near window and then boolean them so that boolean will calculate small amount of data and it will be faster.

After that I would fracture bricks with foreach loop so that every brick is fractured differently. If you fracture bricks before copying, every brick will be the same.