UE4 Curve Controls Bug/Issue

Markarian

Hey all. 

I've built quite a few Houdini assets for use in UE4. Some of them involve using curves as inputs, whereas I have the Curve node set as Editable in the asset, so you can move the points in unreal. I'm having an issue where I can use the assets as they're intended to be upon opening the project, but if I switch to working with regular meshes then come back to the HDAs, the curve handles are gone. 

In the documentation, it is mentioned that you just have to select an object with curve controls enabled in order to be able to select the curve points and transform them individually. There is a warning about items that have multiple components besides a curve component being difficult to select (i.e. things with mesh, collision, etc). The recommended solution is using the world outliner to select the curve objects, but obviously that doesn't work for Houdini assets as they are just one item in the outline.

Am I missing something about component selection modes in UE4? It's fixable by reopening the project, but that's a little bit excessive to close and reopen projects just to have functionality with my curves on HDAs. Should I switch over to actual curve input from unreal using an object merge? Is that input method more dependable to re-select the asset and adjust curves after the initial drop-in?

I can provide HDAs or video demonstrations if needed.

Edited by Markarian

I'm having the same problem. can someone please help me.

نویا سیستم

12 hours ago, Markarian said:

Hey all. 

I've built quite a few Houdini assets for use in UE4. Some of them involve using curves as inputs, whereas I have the Curve node set as Editable in the asset, so you can move the points in unreal. I'm having an issue where I can use the assets as they're intended to be upon opening the project, but if I switch to working with regular meshes then come back to the HDAs, the curve handles are gone. 

In the documentation, it is mentioned that you just have to select an object with curve controls enabled in order to be able to select the curve points and transform them individually. There is a warning about items that have multiple components besides a curve component being difficult to select (i.e. things with mesh, collision, etc). The recommended solution is using the world outliner to select the curve objects, but obviously that doesn't work for Houdini assets as they are just one item in the outline.

Am I missing something about component selection modes in UE4? It's fixable by reopening the project, but that's a little bit excessive to close and reopen projects just to have functionality with my curves on HDAs. Should I switch over to actual curve input from unreal using an object merge? Is that input method more dependable to re-select the asset and adjust curves after the initial drop-in?

I can provide HDAs or video demonstrations if needed.

5 hours ago, mikelyndon said:

Hey Markarian, 

can you post this on the sidefx ue4 forum? The engineers can probably help you out but they don't monitor this forum. 

Mike

Of course. I figured it wouldn't hurt to post here in case someone else that has been using assets in production might have ran into this already. Thanks!