cache a sequence per processor

Hello, I am currently caching 240 frames of 2 mil points a frame and my cpus are only using 10% to cache this thing, but it is taking several hours to cache the full frame range.

I was wondering if there are any workarounds or scripts where I can specify each cpu (i have 20 cpus 40 threads) to batch a certain range per cpu (maybe 12 frames a core over 20 cores)

Any tips or resources references would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all

whats the setup? you can't cache a serial sequence any quicker but the Render in Background uses all threads if appropriate. 20 cores means quite a slow GHz usually, so a faster single core speed would help in general.

I brought in 2 million points a frame from a third party fractal generating program. the program writes the point data out as .csv and im reading in color and position with table import

Directly after a few attrib namings I am filecaching as bgeo.sc

Since this process isn't taxing on the cpu's at all, and I'm loading/writing via ssd I assumed I could potentially speed up the process a lot more rather than using the traditional vanilla filecache. 

Each core has 2.8ghz, 3.5 turbo boost (if that ever actually works)

Thanks for your response!

Edited by Omegaroth

a simple way would be to launch multiple hbatchs from the command line with different frame ranges:

render -f 1-20 /obj/rop_geometry1

render -f 21-40 /obj/rop_geometry1

etc

EDIT: you should also try the -j1 option to limit hbatch to a single core - i.e. hbatch -j1 /pathtohipfile/

Edited by tar

• 2 months later...