Dynamic constraint network creation

c0y

Hi,
I'm trying to make a dynamic procedural constraint network for rbd packed object on a deforming mesh.

I'm importing an animated object I fracture, and copy the animation.

pre_fracture.gif.01b80df0244c4bcf32886373d2a70606.gif

Then I'm creating some activation groups at different time.

fragments_activation.gif.09d0289393fb6dc0c6423c7114070e1b.gif

This scene is just a simple example just to understand the process, but the activation groups could be anything else (like an angle threshold, a color threshold, etc.).
Then I'm building the constraints network, which are animated.

constraints_v001.gif.ef863b96d3a9d6e5c547d8048b9ede53.gif

And here is the hard part... I don't know how to deal with it.
The goal is when a group activate fragments, it take their current position, create a constraint network between them (hard, glue for example). The created constraints could be breakable (by strength or angle, etc).

DOP_rbd_hardconst_v001.gif.eea3188164f262b41a86bf0af252ae66.gif

But I'm not sure to take the good way to do it, especially with my constraints network.

Is anybody ever done that kind of effect before ? Any clue on how I should create this kind of constraints ?

Thanks !

RBD_animated_constraints_01.hip

Edited by c0y

Thanks for the link,

the problem is that I want to keep constraints between my broken groups :

@Frame = 25, the first group make the pieces active, and create constraints between them, that can be broken afterward.

@Frame = 50, the second group make the pieces active, create constraints, and keep also the constraints of the first group.

I did a solver to try to create a connectadjacentpieces for my constraints at these specific frames.

One of my problems is that when you have a moving constraint network, you need to put the "override with SOP" option at 1 (to update each frame), but when you do that, the sop solver that break the constraints is also updated and the broken primitive re-appear, so the object doesn't break ! I can't find the way to make the 2 things work... 

Hi,

here is a clean hip file of what i've described before :

in one case, I can't break the fallen pieces (due to "overwrite with SOP" set to 1) because the @angle or @force attributes are updated and if the value goes below the threshold, the constraint re-appears.

DOP_rbd_v002.gif.2b1c4fab69591b026f4bf08f44469e3b.gif
in the second case, the update of the attributes (like position) is problematic because I can't update the relationships_geometry because some primitives has been removed... the network explodes.

So if someone have a solution... or maybe this is not the right way to do that kind of effect.
I need to keep things procedural : if I add other groups above, the effect should work.

Thanks !

RBD_animated_constraints_06.hip