cheap&fast sims following animation?

probiner

I'm mostly geared toward parametric setups with immediate interaction, easy to "art-direct", but there's things only sims can solve, so I'm looking into introducing some cheap&fast sims into my setups. What do I mean with "cheap&fast"? 

Take the example these boxes being simmed and then use the resulting packed geo to instantiate rubber toys: https://streamable.com/fnrmf 
Not accurate, but fast. So, to sim on simple proxy meshes and then use those to drive complex meshes.

Now, today I was going through this tentacle setup, that is using curves: https://streamable.com/sqssf

And basically I wanted the curves to collide with each other and with obstacles, so I made them Wire Objects, pinned the first point and setup a ground and an obstacle. But the results were not very inspiring (black: sim, yellow: parametric anim).61SKMgv.gif

What I basically want is the sim to look like the anim, but when there's a collision, to solve it, while still trying to keep up with the anim afterwards. I tried to use the "Glue Wire to Animation" from the shelf and select some points, but apparently when it's glued it follows 100% and so the results are weird.
36LqKGc.gif

I was more looking for the curve to bump on the obstacle but still follow through to the other side and eventually catch up with the anim pose:
MTnLhds.png

Maybe I shouldn't be using DOP or gravity at all... There are a number of sim systems in Houdini and I would like to know where I should be digging to attain this sort of cheap&fast effect, not just for this particular problem but for overall situations where there's a strong parametric element to the animation and one wants to enrich it with sim calculations that adhere to the parametric anim, not just an initial pose.

Thanks

CurveSimWebr.7z

Edited by probiner

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot @yglemarec sorry for the slow reply. 

That indeed improve a lot the following up the anim by the sim wire.

bv4O4C5.gif

Although, I'm still not getting the tip to bend/flow from one side to the other, for example. What I was sorting looking for is the squishiness of a tentacle against obstacles + its' ability to act like a muscle on it's own. Neither stiff anim only , neither ragdoll sim only.
BaQHicu.png

Thanks for the tip, was of great use already!

Edited by probiner