Volume Fields Help - Advecting Points Around A Mesh

noname2017

Hello All,

I'm newer to Houdini, and working to jump into setting up some simple/fast solutions for wrapping particles around a mesh. Not sticking to the mesh, but flowing over. I'm a professional Nuke compositor with general experience in Maya, so will understand most terminology, but certainly completely new to Houdini, so open to all suggestions and breakdown's of the principles.

The end goal is to drive a curl noise vortex up in Y, and place geo within the field that the noise will wrap and flow around.

I have attached my test HIP file. I've been trying to combine  this tutorial's use of the cross product and XYZ distance, with the VDB setup from Entagma's Curl Noise tutorial. Other than there being a good possibility I'm on the completely wrong path for this type of effect, it seems I may be confused on properly using the cross product in the VolumeVOP. The attached file doesn't touch properly adding or multiplying in the curl noise, because I want to correct my issue with the field to begin.

Thank you all for your time, patience and help.

My Best,

Josh

curl_noise_trailsTest_003.hipnc