Glue Constraint Gravity

Grezzybear

I have been spending some time creating and destroying a building in Houdini but am currently hung up on a constraints problem. In my hip file I have my procedural building, I fracture it, and send the pieces to be constrained together. I haven't meticulously created the constraints yet, I just wanted to get everything in and working first. When I run the rbd sim a ball crashes through the building and blows the middle part of the building away but the top part of the building just sits there floating in the air. Not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong here, if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

The hip file has a top level control node to cache everything for you to quickly test ^_^

skyscraper_destruction.hipnc

On 3/24/2018 at 6:33 AM, StepbyStepVFX said:

I can't open your file right now, but did you try to disable the sleep mode on all your objects ? Not sure that's the problem, but sometimes...

So I was finally able to go in and check, I have "enable sleeping" off for the packed building pieces.

If you have lots of constraints, and that part of your sim gets stuck, I am wondering if you should not increase the COnstraint Iteration on the bullet solver. I have seen you already increased to 20, but if you have lots of constraints, maybe it prevent the hits to spread across all the geometry ? You can also check the randomize constraint order, it may helps.

I have seen you disabled enable sleeping on the rbd object, but not the meteor. Not sure if you shouldn't disable it in case there is a bug (and also increase the sleeping time just in case on the solver node).

I can't try on my machine, your sim is incredibly slow to run here... But apart of that, I have no guess of the problem...

23 minutes ago, StepbyStepVFX said:

If you have lots of constraints, and that part of your sim gets stuck, I am wondering if you should not increase the COnstraint Iteration on the bullet solver. I have seen you already increased to 20, but if you have lots of constraints, maybe it prevent the hits to spread across all the geometry ? You can also check the randomize constraint order, it may helps.

I have seen you disabled enable sleeping on the rbd object, but not the meteor. Not sure if you shouldn't disable it in case there is a bug (and also increase the sleeping time just in case on the solver node).

I can't try on my machine, your sim is incredibly slow to run here... But apart of that, I have no guess of the problem...

I'll try upping the constraint iterations and randomization next. I did try to disable the sleeping for the meteor already as I noticed I left it on, but got no results ;(

100,000 constraints and 30,000 pieces, but this is only because I made the building way bigger than it really needs to be so I can get a solid break in the middle. I upped the constraint iterations to 100 and saw no difference. Randomize Constraint Order also didn't help.

• 2 months later...