Shaders Swimming Over Geometry!

Hi All,

Wow, this is my first post here on this great forum :-).

I am currently working on a project using DOP's (which rock!!!). Everything was working well until I rendered out a texture pass. The geometry appears to swim through the shader.

For rendering purposes, I am accessing the dopnet geometry via a separate "Geometry Object" with an "Object Merge" node inside. The shaders are then assigned to this "Object Merge" node.

I think the issue is to do with shader space. I am not sure if I am missing something in the "Object Merge" node. I have tested the shaders on standard moving pieces of geometry and all appears to be fine. The VEX shader has a "Rest Position" node feeding into the "P" attribute of the "Bump Noise" node to stop the shader moving over the geometry.

I have also tried with the standard "Marble" shader, changing the shader space parameter to the various options e.g. Texture Space, Object Space etc., but no luck.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you need any other information or if I should create a demo HIP.

Thanks in advance,

Gav

Have you applied a rest position attribute with a rest SOP to your geometry for your shader to use?

22859[/snapback]

Hi stu,

Thank you so much for the quick reply and your query helped to solve my problem :-).

I had been so busy messing around with the shaders and trying various things that I hadn't noticed a warning on the Rest Position SOP in the Object Merge Geometry. I was feeding the rest geometry in correctly but had not added a Subdivide SOP to match the geometry used in the DOP