Melting Paint

anamous

Hi everyone

I am trying to achieve a "melting paint" effect, where a layer of paint on an object (flat grid for now) melts down the surface and reveals a different material underneath it. My first impulse was to solve it using a particle system, with the grid as a source, and particles instantiated as small discs. At the beginning of the simulation i project a planar UV map, and bake the UV coordinates onto the discs, and then make them creep down the surface.

Any other ideas? Corrections? :)

Thanks alot, and keep up the great work.

Hi everyone

I am trying to achieve a "melting paint" effect, where a layer of paint on an object (flat grid for now) melts down the surface and reveals a different material underneath it. My first impulse was to solve it using a particle system, with the grid as a source, and particles instantiated as small discs. At the beginning of the simulation i project a planar UV map, and bake the UV coordinates onto the discs, and then make them creep down the surface.

Any other ideas? Corrections?  :)

Thanks alot, and keep up the great work.

24693[/snapback]

I helped one of the interns at sesi do something similar to this, but in their case it was burrning paper.

basically here's what he did.

1)he took a grid and scattered points(scatter sop) across the surface.

2)Then he created an animated object that would trace out the path of the burn.

3)then he created a popnet and birthed one point from each point scattered on his grid(novelocity)

4) he used the object from step2 as a bounding object in his popnet, he set preserve group to on

5) based on the group in step 4 he created an alpha attribute, all points in the group had a value of

0 all the points outside had a value of 1

6) he wrote the particle system to disk

7) he created a shader that would read in the particle system with the point cloud vops.

He imported his Alpha attribute and used this to control the alpha in his shader.

because he was using point clouds the alpha was interpolated between the points in the cloud.

And there was no (or less) poping as the affected area changed.

I'm sorry that I don't have enough time to post and example, but you can look here for some

example of how point clouds work: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...pper&Itemid=155

All the best

Luca

thanks alot, doc, really appreciated :)

The hardest part would be the shader - how do I read in the particles?

24772[/snapback]

You'll want to use the Pcopen Vop and you'll want to plug the "handle"

output into the pcfilter vop.

If you need some examples have a look at the afore mentioned link. I think

that there's a simple example of ambient occlusion done with point clouds.

It should be fairly straight forward.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask them.

Luca