Pipeline Q: Swapping Otl Definitions Reliably

Woo!

Thanks Mark! I'll d/l and test this immediately!

26929[/snapback]

I've tested with a simple scene with 8.0.585 with "otrefresh -r" and here are my results:

8.0.585:
  otrefresh -r  :  32 secs
  reloading the scene from scratch: 19 secs

8.0.473:
  otrefresh -r : 55 secs
  reloading the scene from scratch: 19 secs

Both: 
  doing my own (unstable) thing I listed above: 4 secs

So it seems like otrefresh -r as about twice as fast as it was but still twice as slow as loading up the houdini & the hipfile from scratch. Are these consistent with your findings?

Cheers,

Jason

No, my test was basically a default Houdini with a couple of simple asset instances to make sure the updates were still happening properly. My test went from 15 seconds to 2 seconds. This was accomplished by eliminating some code that was needlessly loading in the dialog scripts of _every_ node type in every OTL. Normally we only load dialog scripts as needed. But obviously there is some second factor. Out of curiosity, could you run your tests with a completely empty Houdini scene? It would help me decide whether it is the management of the OTLs or updating the instances of assets that is the problem.

Thanks,

Mark

No, my test was basically a default Houdini with a couple of simple asset instances to make sure the updates were still happening properly. My test went from 15 seconds to 2 seconds. This was accomplished by eliminating some code that was needlessly loading in the dialog scripts of _every_ node type in every OTL. Normally we only load dialog scripts as needed. But obviously there is some second factor. Out of curiosity, could you run your tests with a completely empty Houdini scene? It would help me decide whether it is the management of the OTLs or updating the instances of assets that is the problem.

Thanks,

Mark

27011[/snapback]

Ah;!

squeaky clean houdini 8.0.585:
  otrefresh -r : 3 secs

houdini setup in our environment (with our single "master" OPlibraries file):
  otrefresh -r : 18 secs

So, our OPlibraries file contains (on average) about 16 directories with *.otl patterns, and loading about 180 otls (if I line-count the output of otls).

Okay, please try 8.0.589. I did a test with 400 OTLs (I split out each VOP and SHOP into a separate OTL). Then I created a simple VOP Network, and did "otrefresh -r". 8.0.588 was 14 seconds, 8.0.589 was 4 seconds. The bottleneck was actually a whole lot of calls to search the HOUDINI_PATH for old-style dialog script-based op table files (SHOPphoton, SHOPsurface, etc, pre-OTL stuff). So if your OTLs are on network drives the speedup may be even greater.

Unfortunately the only other area that can be attacked here is to speed up the re-syncing of an instantiated asset from one definition to another, and that would be a more drastic change that probably can't be put into H8. So I hope this does the job, because I don't think there's much more I can do...

Sorry for the failed first attempt... Please let me know how this one goes.

Mark

Sorry for the failed first attempt... Please let me know how this one goes.

27108[/snapback]

No worries, Mark! I appreciate any effort here very much! :)

I will try it out tomorrow and thanks again for looking at this.

Hi Mark,

This approach yields a 7 sec turnaround now (!). Thank you very much for all your work here, I will attempt to install and use this version in production after a bit more testing.

Thanks again, sir!

Jason