Getting absolute screen position in Python panels

quryo

Hello,

I'm building a tool where I need the global screen position from a local widget position (as I'm using a QCompleter).

The usual way to do this seems to be with `QWidget::mapToGlobal`. However, the result seems to be always wrong. I believe this is because there is no full Qt widget hierarchy in the panel.

For instance, when printing the `geometry()` QRect of the widget hierarchy of a panel that is on the right side of the screen, I never see the offset on the screen that the panel obviously has:

mainWindow = hou.qt.mainWindow()
curParent = self.parent()

for i in range(0,30):
    if curParent is None:
        print("Stopping due to unparented")
        break
    if curParent == mainWindow:
        print("Stopping as main win reached")
        break

print("cur ", i, ": ", str(curParent.geometry()), " mapped ", str(curParent.mapToGlobal(QtCore.QPoint(0,0))))
    curParent = curParent.parent()

results in

('cur ', 0, ': ', 'PySide.QtCore.QRect(9, 32, 589, 430)', ' mapped ', 'PySide.QtCore.QPoint(9, 32)')
('cur ', 1, ': ', 'PySide.QtCore.QRect(0, 0, 607, 471)', ' mapped ', 'PySide.QtCore.QPoint(0, 0)')
('cur ', 2, ': ', 'PySide.QtCore.QRect(0, 0, 607, 471)', ' mapped ', 'PySide.QtCore.QPoint(0, 0)')
Stopping due to unparented

This is in Houdini 16.5.439.

I'd appreciate any pointers on how to get the Houdini-internal view hierarchy or to get parenting work properly.

Cheers