Autorig to custom model

gotfroi

I've been watching this masterclass 

One thing it doesn't make clear is - this Tommy asset is already the perfect/size/pose for the "auto" rig? I follow the instructions with my own geometry character and the autorig does not follow the geometry at all. It's close, because I'm working real world scale. If auto rig tools can't find the skin of the geo and have to be tweaked individually, this should be reflected in the tutorial rather than showing a perfect rig with no adjusting.

After carefully adjusting the auto rig, something happened where the rig became disconnected from the python interface and I can't get it back because I didn't save it to a specific external file. I only chose "save" which I assume embeds the connection. Lost my work.

When I triy to load existing asset I keep getting this

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiMenuBar.py", line 290, in _loadFromUnbuiltHDA
    self.loadFromNodePath(nodepath)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiMenuBar.py", line 305, in loadFromNodePath
    self.charactertabs.existingCharacter(selectednode, jsonobj)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py", line 39, in existingCharacter
    autorigs_asset.existingFromJson(assetnode, json)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsAsset.py", line 194, in existingFromJson
    module.buildAfterImport(jsonmodules)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\rootModule.py", line 121, in buildAfterImport
    self.guidetab.buildFromJson(json)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\rootModule.py", line 218, in buildFromJson
    self.paramswidget.fromJSON(json['guideparams'])
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\extremity\extremityGuideParams.py", line 492, in fromJSON
    json[self.JSON_FULL][jsonlabels[UiParamFactory.SIZE]])
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiParamNum.py", line 96, in setValues
    if len(self.params) != len(values):
TypeError: object of type 'float' has no len()
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiMenuBar.py", line 290, in _loadFromUnbuiltHDA
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiMenuBar.py", line 305, in loadFromNodePath
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py", line 39, in existingCharacter
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsAsset.py", line 194, in existingFromJson
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\rootModule.py", line 121, in buildAfterImport
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\base\rootModule.py", line 218, in buildFromJson
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\modules\extremity\extremityGuideParams.py", line 492, in fromJSON
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiParamNum.py", line 96, in setValues
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiMenuBar.py", line 224, in _loadFromFile
    jsonobj, create_values)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py", line 46, in newFromJsonCharacter
    autorigs_asset.newFromJson(json)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsAsset.py", line 218, in newFromJson
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiMenuBar.py", line 224, in _loadFromFile
    jsonobj, create_values)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\ui\uiCharacterTabs.py", line 46, in newFromJsonCharacter
    autorigs_asset.newFromJson(json)
  File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.352/houdini/python2.7libs\autorigs\asset\autoRigsAsset.py", line 218, in newFromJson

There is an additional problem with my geo intersecting and I get this mysterious message on my solidconform

Warning 
Input Error: intersecting segments.
Try the Detect Intersections Mode to find any issues with the input mesh, or try tweaking the Troubleshooting options.. 

I'll try and find out what this means as it's not readily apparent

After much trial and error with solidconform, I realized that my models hair from makehuman uses intersecting planes in the hair that were breaking solidconform and not producing tets. I don't really need the hair for previz. Any way a long journey to get a fairly simple result that should be a default asset.

image.png.538f379f9d5c93f48431824c2e6f69d4.png

If I don't click this button my rig will not deform the geo. I tried making it deform after the fact and gave up after an hour. Why would you make this an option? Why is it off by default? I'm going to "Auto" rig my character again for the third time from scratch. I'm at about 8.5 hours making this work "automatically".

Edited by gotfroi