What's the best way to show up a GUI from my menu entry and interact with a C++ lib in the GUI?

C_Q

I got a request to insert an entry into the Windows menu of Houdini, when this menu entry is clicked, it should show a GUI, with some input controls to let user input something as parameters, and a button to call the APIs provided by our own C++ lib. After the button is clicked, the status of the C++ lib should be updated on the GUI.

What I got currently is I customized a MainMenuCommon.xml and inserted my own menu entry under the Windows menu. 

Then I tried defining a dialog using Houdini's UI script and then using the builduicode.exe tool to generate a pair of .c/h file in hoping that I can interact with the C++ lib in the callbacks of the UI elements, but I don't know how to show this UI from my added menu entry. Is this the correct way to do the task, or is there any better ways?

Any suggestions/comments is welcome! 

Thanks!

I have made it work in this way:

1. define a command in c++, say my_cmd; in the command, open up the dialog I defined
2. install the command in CMDextendLibrary
3. make a .py file to call the command, the py file is quite simple
hou.hscript('my_cmd')
4. execute the .py file in my inserted menu entry

Although it worked, as I still new to Houdini, I'm not sure if this is the recommended way in Houdini, or is there any better ways?
Thanks for any inputs!

Edited by C_Q

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 2:05 AM, Stalkerx777 said:

I've done something similar recently. You've picked the right way - by implementing an HScript command.

The UI part is much simpler to implement with Qt though. 

Hi Alex,

Thank you very much for your response!

For the UI part, if I use Qt, or PySide, how can I communicate with the C++ lib then? Do I have to wrap the C++ lib for Python scripts?

If you're using Qt it would be native c++ application (I assume we are talking about the Framework and not the wrapper library). You could then launch it as standalone Qt Application from your menu.

A guess from my side would be, if your own library is kind of simple, to use the ctypes python module which allows you to directly load a dynamic library into the RAM and use it in your python code. I haven't tested it in anyway and it could be a hassle getting this to work.

Another option is to use e.g boost python which let's your write simple c++ code to wrap your library functions in python code.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:20 AM, Yannci said:

If you're using Qt it would be native c++ application (I assume we are talking about the Framework and not the wrapper library). You could then launch it as standalone Qt Application from your menu.

A guess from my side would be, if your own library is kind of simple, to use the ctypes python module which allows you to directly load a dynamic library into the RAM and use it in your python code. I haven't tested it in anyway and it could be a hassle getting this to work.

Another option is to use e.g boost python which let's your write simple c++ code to wrap your library functions in python code.

Thank you Yannci! Your second suggestion is worth trying. The side effect is that as the C++ lib upgrades I will have to update an additional wrapper. But it seems a doable way.