Sign in to follow this  
xxyxxy

I think I am CentOS-ing wrong

Hi all,

I'm trying out CentOS for the first time (Linux-wise, have used only Ubuntu since it came out fifteen years ago) and I'm having all manner of issues.

I don't seem to be able to finish a 240 frame render of el Pighead dropping and shattering without a Mantra error.

The errors are often (but not always) in the VEX execution engine.  I'm attaching a representative error log...

I have an itching feeling that I went about my install all wrong.  I chose CentOS 7.7 with the "Desktop" set of packages during the install.  The first thing I did afterwards was install Houdini.  What's weird is that I had missing dependencies -- for Houdini to run I had to do:

yum install libXScrnSaver
yum install mesa-libGLU

I haven't installed anything besides --it's just a fresh 7.7 install plus those two yum installs plus Houdini (and Nuke).

Anyways, the whole point of my trying out CentOS was due to its purported stability (and I also wanted to run Mudbox 2020).  But I've gotten myself knee-deep in some hellish crash-pit where I can't render 240 frames in a row.

Should I have installed a minimal set of packages during install?  Is CentOS 7.7 too bleeding edge to run Houdini in a stable manner?  Am just CentOS-ing... all wrong?

I am totally happy to do a system wipe and start over so I can get the stability to render more than 50 frames in a row.

• Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz (no overclocking)
  • Vengence LPX 64GB (4x16) DDR4 3.2GHz
  • Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB M.2 NVMe
  • GeForce GTX 1050

Previously I was running Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16 (I think -- whichever was the first to support Ryzen) stably.  I would love to hear any advice for a first-time CentOS user!

Thanks!

mantra_error_log.txt

Edited by xxyxxy