Adding A String Attribute

doc

Hello,

I'm just starting to get my feet wet with this hdk stuff and I've come across a tiny stumbling block.

I'm trying to add a point attribute of type string and I couldn't find an example of how to do

this in $HFS/toolkit/samples/SOP. So I guessed :)

int test = gdp->addPointAttrib(attrName1, sizeof(UT_String),GB_ATTRIB_STRING, 0);

This compiles without a problem and when I MMB on the node houdini says the attribute

exists, but when I bring up the spreadsheet the attribute doesn't appear to be listed.

Any ideas?

Luca

int test = gdp->addPointAttrib(attrName1, sizeof(UT_String),GB_ATTRIB_STRING, 0);

This compiles without a problem and when I MMB on the node houdini says the attribute

exists, but when I bring up the spreadsheet the attribute doesn't appear to be listed.

Hey Luca, try using GB_ATTRIB_INDEX instead of GB_ATTRIB_STRING ... that might completely solve the trick, and will certainly get you closer otherwise. You have to do the same thing when using the HDK to read string values (which is a real pain). For example:

int texOffset = gdp->findPointAttrib( "texname", GB_ATTRIB_INDEX );
GB_Attribute *texAttr = gdp->pointAttribs().find( "texname", GB_ATTRIB_INDEX );
int *idx = static_cast< int* >( point->getAttribData( texOffset ) );
UT_String texVal = texAttr->getIndex( *idx );

Cheers!