Cutting A Wire Dobject?

pbowmar

Hello,

This is proving more frustrating than I anticipated, hopefully I'm just not seeing something nice 'n easy :)

Basically, I need to have a wire Dobject constrained at each end to moving geometry (this is "easy" in the context of DOPs :) which at some point gets cut in half, while the two constrained ends continue to be constrained.

I've tried two approaches, both unsuccessfully. The first was to create two wire Dobjects, with the two centre points constrained to each other. I then deactivate the centre point constraint when I want the cut to occur. This sort-of worked except my centre constraints were always back to the original geometry, not to the simulated end points.

The second attempt was to use a SOP Solver and use a Carve SOP on the frame I wanted to actually cut a single wire into 2 wires. This also sort-of works, except the end constraints (to the moving Dobjects) stop working correctly.

I'm going to try to de-secret-ify my (work) hip file and attach it but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime please let me know.

Cheers,

Peter B

OK, got it. Thanks to Craig Z's example file "swingball2.hip" from another thread. Easier than my original attempt to glue the two ends together. Trick is to import 2 Wire Dobjects, so they have different names, as opposed to bringing in a single "cut" wire Dobject.

Of course, I now have to figure out how to get the ends to align but so far so good :)

Cheers,

Peter B