Proxy Geometry For Rig (how To Generate New Proxy Groups From Painted

flowerdealer

Hi I looked at the option to generate proxy geometry in the auto rig node. However, I modified the original autorig by deleting a few fingers, and although everything else still worked perfectly, the generated proxy geometry appeared broken up and scattered when I loaded it into the rig. So my question is, how could I generate new proxy groups from the weighted and skinned modelled which I already have? Also, what is the purpose of using the proxy geometry? Is it only to start animating right away, or also as a sort of more accesible bone picker? Thanks!

Hi I looked at the option to generate proxy geometry in the auto rig node. However, I modified the original autorig by deleting a few fingers, and although everything else still worked perfectly, the generated proxy geometry appeared broken up and scattered when I loaded it into the rig. So my question is, how could I generate new proxy groups from the weighted and skinned modelled which I already have? Also, what is the purpose of using the proxy geometry? Is it only to start animating right away, or also as a sort of more accesible bone picker? Thanks!

The proxy geometry is scattered because when autorig splits up the geometry is at the origin. In the animation rig each piece of proxy geometry is inside the bone thus the bone transform is applied to the proxy chunk. In the animation rig there is a button Set Proxy which will compute the bone transforms in world space and apply those values to the proxy chunks. So press that button and all should fall into place.

To the groups from weighted geo question the answer is yes and no. Yes you can create groups but you don't have control over the names so you will need to change all the names in the animation rig. The autorig creates the groups with the appropriate names.

Te reason for the proxy geometry is, as you mentioned, to start with the animation right away and probably the most important one is the speed of the rig in proxy mode. There is no weighting/deform process in the proxy so the rig is faster to work with, also most of the time the deform/rendered geometry is much heavier than the proxy one plus it has all sorts of additional deformers (muscles, wires).

cheers

calin