importing fbx/obj files correctly with textures

Hi, this is something that's starting to drive me crazy. I'm still kind of a beginner with houdini.

I downloaded an Iphone model, and it includes textures, UV maps, and different files (obj,fbx,DAE). I wish i could upload them, but originally, it's a paid download.

I know my way around in houdini, but textures are not really something i worked with alot, only some basic material stuff.

the goal is to wrap the textures around the model in a way that it fits perfectly.

by the way, i never successfully imported an fbx model doing it via file-import. i always get the message ;"import failed ...........fbx does not exist.  I can import it with the file node though.

Can someone point me in the right way?

wow that is quite a nice tip, the other tools from labs also look amazing. 

I tried the quick material node, and it was almost a one-click solution. I selected the screen-image (the typical app-screen) as base color texture, and it fit perfectly. However, the edges of the screen wrapped around the model, resulting in a incorrect looking back/sides. which makes sense.

I expected (just a feeling) the ability to select groups for each texture, but there are none. but i am determined to make this work! 

Attached are screenshots of the folder with UV Maps, and the folder with the textures (i used the screen-texture which i described) Maybe that shines a little light on the situation.

I know it's alot to ask, but i would really appreciate some kind of demonstration (which is of course impossible with just these screenshots), as i just cannot find any tutorial/source of information which really suits this particular model.

Screenshot (121).png

Screenshot (123).png

Edited by rickvdvulkaan

Okay, i think i got it. It turns out the file node didn't bring in the groups to assign the materials. When i imported it by going to file --> import --> FBX, it worked instantly and all groups were there, with the correct colors applied. I just don't understand why i got the errors earlier.

I tried some other fbx files with the file node, and they did bring in groups.. weird stuff. wondering if it's a coincidence or if i'm doing something wrong.

The UV maps are still a mystery though, still curious why i got them and how to apply it. Anyway, another small step towards understanding houdini :) 

Edited by rickvdvulkaan

In the second image, what you have are placeholder/original textures to be used on the model if you are composing the shot at a distance. The first image is slightly confusing, I'm not too sure why there are 6 colour variants of what appears to be the Albedo/Diffuse texture. However, the intention of splitting textures by channels like Albedo/Diffuse, Roughness, Specular/Metallic, Normal etc. is to allow you further control over how the textures are rendered. For example, if you were to only apply an image texture, then you would not be able to control the roughness of your model (all faces of your geometry would be equally reflective, which might not be the case IRL). Having a separate texture map for the Roughness channel (usually in black & white) allows you to control the scale of the roughness based on the UV map. The same goes for the other maps that are usually provided with downloaded models.

Edit: To use the channel textures, you can toggle "Use Texture" on the Quick Material SOP and set the file path for each channel.

Edited by Fenolis