add transparent picture on top of other shader

I Have 2 principled shaders, 1 with a wood texture, and 1 with a transparent picture (PNG), could be a logo or something else.  Eventually i want see the picture with the different shader settings on top of the wood. I expected it to work using a layer mix, and pipe the layer output of the first principled shader to the input A of the layermix, and the transparent picture to B, but what i got is a blank/default material instead. I also tried 2 materials on SOP level, but the transparent picture overlaps the wood, showing black on the places where it should be transparent. The "use texture alpha" box is checked. I think i searched the entire internet now, but still no clue.

Can/should i work with 2 material nodes in SOP level, keeping the transparency? It feels like something really simple but i think i almost have no hairs on my head left to pull out anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Edited by rickvdvulkaan

ok, this is kind of embarrassing. So far i pretty much only used the opengl renderer, because it's so blazingly fast and looks pretty OK for most of my jobs. Turns out the layer mix works just fine with mantra.

please tell me there is a way to do this using opengl?