Houdini Laptop

964racer

I run Houdini on a Desktop i7-6700K 4.0GHZ 4 core Windows PC (32GB memory) Nvidia 980 GTX. It's a bit dated but it is sufficient for what I do with Houdini at the moment. (short simulations, modeling, rendering, etc)

I am due to upgrade my laptop and I would like to be able to run Houdini on it as well, but mainly for doing smaller projects and my teaching. Does anyone have any experience with running Houdini on the new Macbook Pro 16" ? The CPU spec is Intel i9 (8 core) 2.3 GHz with turbo boost up to 4.8 GHz. GPU is AMD radeon Pro 5500 M (4GB in base configuration). Note: I am not sure how much use of GPU Houdini makes.

I am looking to achieve at least similar performance on the laptop to my old PC. I've considered a windows laptop (and staying with the same OS), but it's hard to ignore the display quality of the MacBook Pro and I also want to use it for music where Macs seem to be superior in terms of sw/hw support.

I definitely have time to decide but looking for feedback/suggestions...