Changing instance objects texture map based on attribute

rmross

I have a picture frame geo that I'm importing from an FBX.  It has a frame and a canvas in it. I'm then copying that geo to some scattered points to make hundreds of picture frames.  How do you think would be a good procedural way to assign the texture of just the canvas to be one of a folder of texture images?

I made a parameter called variant which assigns an integer to each of the frames.  And I made a folder of images with names like "canvas_1" and "canvas_2".  But I'm stuck on how one would apply the corresponding image as a texture to just the canvas geo.

what renderer are u using. the method will be different for each.

easiest it is with Mantra, where u can create a per primitive string attribute (path to the texture). loading this attribute in the shader and plugging it into diffuse slot or whatever, will render the corresponding textures.
in Arnold I remember you have some limited tokens, but for texture variation it's sufficient
in Redshift you can use stylesheet script that reads the prim string attribute (it's simple but a bit cryptic and i don't remember how to do it from top of my head, to be honest)

cheers.

yes, that i think stylesheet is the easiest method if you have many textures.

if you only have 3 or so, you can have attrib with values 0-2, and then use color mix to switch textures with it on shader level.