Particle Pyro Advection - Weird Square Stepping Artifacts?

nickmedukha

Hey guys,

All weekend spent on this so I thought I need help from more experienced users :)

Simple setup. 
SOP Pyro with some negative velocity makes a shockwave-style smoke volume.
Grid of points.
Feed grid to popnet, add advect by volumes.
Now as the pyro expands - there are these weird square looking borders EXACTLY where at the moment velocity volume ends.

Maybe there is a way to feather the velocity volume, or blur it, so it is not that abrupt?

Pics attached.

Thanks a lot,
Nickw

Screenshot 2022-01-24 065601.png

Screenshot 2022-01-24 065435.png

Particle Wave Blend.hiplc

The weird square looking border lines up exactly with your bounding box for the pyro sim. So what I did was add a little padding in the resizing section of the Bound in the pyro solver and the weird effect multiplied each time the box resized. So the sad reality is you will either need to resize your bounding box to the size of your grid. OR find a way to clamp the velocity of anything outside the actual smoke to zero velocity. It definitely has something to do with the bounding box having a little velocity in the space without smoke in it which is pushing the points outward. The points outside the box have no velocity affecting them so they stay put. That is all the help I can give since I am pretty much a newbie to houdini.

Edited by neutrosophic