Flip Simulation Query

Raja_B

Hello everyone.

I just started learning and working on Houdini, and I'm trying to do a fluid simulation. So my scene involves simulating a ocean and a flat tank and I want to simulate white water and generate foam. But I'm having some issues and I hoped that I can post some of my queries here.

So the "Foam" whitewater simulation is giving a collision issue. Apparently it's not able to detect the ship's body, and the particles are going inside the ship. I'm not sure if it's due to the VDB collision factor of the boat or the particle separation value of the simulation.

Secondly, when I cached the particles I'm having some form of vertical lines on the front of the ship. I'm not sure why that's happening. Is it because of the grid size being too small ?

Third when I actually did the render of the single frame, I'm getting some issues for the material of the surface. Idk why it's giving me some sort of artifacts type issue on it. I just used the oceansurface material on it.

Another query I'm having is, I imported my ship from blender where I modelled it, but the actual ship size is 292 meters in size. So when I imported it into Houdini, I scaled it down a little. I'm not sure if that can actually affect the simulation. I did some R&D and found that it's best if you keep the scale as it is, and increase the domain size to fit the ship, rather than scaling the ship down. Thus my question, does re-scaling the ship actually affect the simulation and like not give realistic output ? Like does it affect any backhand calculation for the simulation. Because I did a re-sim with a box, made in houdini, just so that I can avoid the scale, axis and translate issues that happen when we import any mesh. I found that sim to be a little better than the previous simulations, but I'm not happy with the output where I'm sort of getting this crescent shape in the front of the ship. Like I want the genuine V-shape wake, like the ship is cutting through the water & here I'm not able to get that. 

Test_Flip597.jpeg

Render.jpeg

Box.mp4