input $RFSTART $FEND or $xxx into global variables without $ evaluation

tagosaku

Hi, I am learning python script, and try to control global variables by python. Basially I want to input a string'$RFSTART' or '$FSTART', instead of evaluated frame number.  It seems to work if I directly type '$RFSTART' into Variables window. 

Is that possible to type '$xxx' from a shelf tool ? (please see first photo)

My idea is probably not working because I guess global variables are not designed to store '$' itself.  On the other hands, Houdini's standard 'render flipbook' show $RFSTART $RFEND as default and still memorize user's custom input values too. I wonder how this sytem works..

Ultimately, I want to create a custom flipbook setting window. (please see second photo). My understanding is the scripted window cannot memorize input values. Therfore, when I change their values, close the window and open it again, all uniques values are gone.  Thus, I am considering to store those values into global variables.  Storing values could be intgers, strings, $HIP, $XXX, and so on. If we have better ideas, let me know!

Thank you!!  

image.thumb.png.be67c307f3261c1aeaeccb7c819314b1.png

image.png.3bd1c5248a513815290e08574ff39e8f.png

Edited by tagosaku

• tagosaku changed the title to input $RFSTART $FEND or $xxx into global variables without $ evaluation