Applying Entagma's Chainmail Deformed tut onto more complex geo

Hey, bit of an involved one but appreciate some guidance as making a birthday card for someone dear.

So the goal is to create a chainmail dress. I came across Entagma's tutorial on creating a chainmail grid and then applying it to deformed geometry using uvsample function.Basic jist is use point generate sop to generate points and then create grid of the points but offsetting every odd row to create a hexagon pattern. Copy a circle to points, boom chainmail.

The crux is, when applying it to deformed geometry from a vellum sim using uvsample function, it only works if the deformed geometry and the hexgrid are the same shape and size.

This is an issue as I want to apply the chainmail pattern onto the cloth sim I made for the tailoring.

My thoughts were to unpack the clothes like UV islands and then create a large hex grid and then transfer the points of that hex grid onto the flattened clothes which I can then use a reference when I apply the hexgrid on the chainmail.

Is this good solution and what would be the best method of doing so? I imagine it would be involving Point Clouds and pc functions.

Any other easier methods?