Glsl - Running out of samplers - can I use sampler arrays?

Hi, I'm creating a glsl blend shader for the Houdini viewport and I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the max amount of samplers as when I get above ~22 or so the material starts to go black.

I was looking at sampler 2d arrays as a solution to this as all my textures are the same size, however I don't know if this is supported. I was looking at one of the shaders shipped with Houdini that is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for,

found in Side Effects Software\Houdini 19.0.657\houdini\glsl\block\GL32\game_layer.blk

image.thumb.png.f11ff0396d173d31e3525f6e46ba8dfc.png

Which is later referenced like so:
image.png.d2f73285b9bdce01de966e3aabfd8691.png

For regular sampler2D textures I got them into the shader through a "file - image" parameter in the opengl node type properties  and I was hoping using array maps would be supported in a similar way, maybe through a multiparm folder, but I've had no luck trying to get it through like that.

Does anyone know if this is supported? Or maybe there's a better way of getting more samplers into the shader?

Thanks so much,

Ole