Foreach Sop & "merge Results"

rjpieke

Wow is it ever not behaving the way I expected :)

The docs indicate that enabling "Merge Results" shows all the iterations put together, while disabling it only shows the last iteration. But it looks to me like enabling it causes each iteration to be performed on the original geometry whereas disabling it actually uses feedback. Either that or the stamping is "off".

Have a look at the attached .hip ... toggling "Merge Results" on and off doesn't just switch between N boxes and 1 box ... it also changes the position of the box. With it off, I get the result I'd expect of iteratively performing the operation in a feed-back manner. With it on, I get the result I'd expect of iteratively performing the operation on the base geometry.

What am I missing? :)

foreach.hip

Hi Rob,

It looks to me like it works fine.

With merge off I see 1 box iteratively moved 4 times.

With merge on I see 4 boxes merged together with each one moved. The result is as you suggest performed on the base geometry that how the foreach works.

What result are you actually after? It sounds like you want feedback and merge?

Maybe the thing missing here is that usually the foreach sop in merge mode is used to take something apart apply some sops to each bit and then rebuild it. Basically what you can do with a copy stamp and a delete sop. So the number of iterations should normally match the number of input pieces of geometry. Whereas you are feeding in one piece but looping 4 times....

Edited by sibarrick

With merge off I see 1 box iteratively moved 4 times.

With merge on I see 4 boxes merged together with each one moved. The result is as you suggest performed on the base geometry that how the foreach works.

What result are you actually after? It sounds like you want feedback and merge?

Thanks Simon. I guess I was just looking for the confirmation that feedback was only performed when merge is turned off. Based on the docs, I would have expected "feedback and merge" behaviour. I'm not really after any particular effect ... just want to make sure I understand how the SOP actually is supposed to work.

Cheers!