Non Dynamic Constraint-like Example Hips

rconover

First of all I have done some looking around. The best single resource for this seems to be the Wiki here.

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Constraints

Which talks about most of the typical constraint setups and their Houdini equivilents.

Blend Object seems to come up most of all. But the number of example files in the docs or the wiki=nothing.

And the results of the blend object -so far- do not make sense to me in a constraint context between two objects.

Now having a non-Houdini perspective but have worked in XSI, Maya and Max. A constraint is a constraint in all those three

(once you figure out the sligth difference in workflow and naming conventions) it is really easy to get constraints going in any of them.

But in Houdini is different. Now what would really be useful is for someone with a background with any of those other three software -but now smitten with Houdini- could put together some simple example hips between just two objects of typical constraints. They would know the constraint techniques many of us are used to and can put them in a Houdini context

for the rest of us to reverse engineer. Just use the 'constraint wiki' for a shopping list-the most important ones are mentioned.

Constraints are such a building block for character rigging in other software. I see the subject comming up numerous times

here and on the Sidefx forum but the solutions are more often than not too 'Houdiniesc' for me.

Makes sense if you are used to Houdini-but very little if you are used to anything else.

Would be an important link for the migration wiki entries as well.

many thanks in advance

• 1 year later...
First of all I have done some looking around. The best single resource for this seems to be the Wiki here.

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/Constraints

Which talks about most of the typical constraint setups and their Houdini equivilents.

....[snip].....

But in Houdini is different. Now what would really be useful is for someone with a background with any of those other three software -but now smitten with Houdini- could put together some simple example hips between just two objects of typical constraints. They would know the constraint techniques many of us are used to and can put them in a Houdini context

for the rest of us to reverse engineer. Just use the 'constraint wiki' for a shopping list-the most important ones are mentioned.

....[snip]...

many thanks in advance

Hi all,

I'm basically in the same boat as regard to non-dynamic constraint. I've tried searching the whole forum to no avail so far (I might have overlooked it. If so, can someone kindly provide the link to the thread? Many2 thanx).

Coming from different software background, and having starting to play around with Houdini in just two weeks, I really really appreciate if there's a head up on the topic.

TIA.

regards,

Faizol