Two-way Cloth<>rbd Constraint?

Vormav

I'm trying to setup a mutual constraint relationship between a rigid body and a cloth. I.E., if the rbd starts falling, it should pull the cloth, and if the cloth is pulled by something, it should pull the rbd along with it.

I know that in past versions of DOPs, this couldn't really be done (afaik). However, one particular DOP example from the 9.1 docs keeps jumping out at me: ClothSpringsBalls.

As far as I can tell, that example has managed to produce a mutual constraint relationship between rigid bodies and cloth. They use an sbd spring constraint, constraining a point of the cloth to a point of the rbd. Then 'mirror' is turned on, and it seems to work. If I increase the mass of the balls, they pull the cloth down. If I blow a fan at the cloth, it pulls the balls with it as it moves up.

However, I haven't been able to reproduce the effect. Any time I try to use the setup they've used, Houdini complains that the "constraint could not be processed by solver." The RBD Solver just won't have any of it - and I have no idea why it's working in the example.

Even if that didn't work, it seems like this ought to still be doable... It should just be a matter of setting up a spring constraint - constraining a point on the cloth to a point on the rbd - then, grabbing the force data contained in the state of that spring constraint, and applying it as a 'point force' at the position on the rbd where the spring constraint is hooked up. ...right? But, although I can track down all of that data in detail view, I can't figure out how exactly I can apply it, if I even can.

And there's always the chance that I'm missing a very simple solution to this.

Any tips?

Edited by Vormav

Nevermind, I figured out why it wasn't working: I had setup a glue relationship between my rbds that shared the constraint with the cloth object, and another rbd. Somehow, that glue relationship breaks the RBD Solver's ability to handle a two-way cloth<>RBD relationship, so you have to setup the glue-like relationship between the rbdobjects using other methods.

It's working now. :)

Edited by Vormav