Exporting Maya Animation To Houdini 9.0

I'm trying to bring in my character animation from Maya 8.5 to Houdini 9.0. Originally I was told I could export the animation from Maya as an .obj sequence. Didn't have any luck with that.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The animation is a dragon breathing in and then blowing out fire. My plan was to import the background and the character so I could do the fire in Houdini, and have some of the particles emitting some of the light for the scene.

Edited by few_a_fx

I have had plenty of success writing out OBJ sequences from Maya and importing them into Houdini, what was the problem? Did the OBJ's not export? Did you only get a single file? You need to write a script MEL or Python to export the sequence. Do the OBJ's display incorrectly(Flipped the Normals)? What about FBX? Is that only in 9.1?

I have had plenty of success writing out OBJ sequences from Maya and importing them into Houdini, what was the problem? Did the OBJ's not export? Did you only get a single file? You need to write a script MEL or Python to export the sequence. Do the OBJ's display incorrectly(Flipped the Normals)? What about FBX? Is that only in 9.1?

The main problem was, when I exported the animation I only got one file and it was just the first pose of the animation. As for the object they exported find, and no problem with the normals. FBX only works in 9.1, but I had a friend tell me I could export the animation as fbx and then use a converter to change it to a collada. I did find a similar post about using MEL script to export the animation, so I'm going to try that as well. But I'm up for any other suggestions.