3ds Max import Questions

I have imported a 3ds max into houdini.

The model is a car I purchased from exchange3d and trying to get it shaded, textured and rendered in Houdini. Right now I have the file object.

In this geometry is a large flat square above the car, is this a typical 3d thing?

Is there a way to separate the geometry into separate objects? Right now it is one large object with a huge poly count.

I am trying to get the object to match the top/front/side views (right now it is upside down and way off center). Is there any easy/proper way to do this?

Since I have a file node, does that file have to always exist on the file system or is there a way to bring it into hip file?

oh one other thing. It seems as if the import kept some sort of primative group. I am able to select windows and body part, etc. But how can I apply a material shop to just the selection? I tried to select then add group node.

Thanks for any help in advance. I trying to figure this out as best as I can, but not sure what is best practice for imports.

Thanks!!!

mustang.hipnc

Edited by Zamous

Turns out that I think my obj file was corrupted or something. I could select individual primatives for sops. I imported it as dxf and all my headaches disappeared. Now I am able to supply materials to primative selections.

I have imported a 3ds max into houdini.

The model is a car I purchased from exchange3d and trying to get it shaded, textured and rendered in Houdini. Right now I have the file object.

In this geometry is a large flat square above the car, is this a typical 3d thing?

Is there a way to separate the geometry into separate objects? Right now it is one large object with a huge poly count.

I am trying to get the object to match the top/front/side views (right now it is upside down and way off center). Is there any easy/proper way to do this?

Since I have a file node, does that file have to always exist on the file system or is there a way to bring it into hip file?

oh one other thing. It seems as if the import kept some sort of primative group. I am able to select windows and body part, etc. But how can I apply a material shop to just the selection? I tried to select then add group node.

Thanks for any help in advance. I trying to figure this out as best as I can, but not sure what is best practice for imports.

Thanks!!!