shattering a mirror

silentvisual

i am doing a shot of my friend punching a mirror and i want to break the mirror i wonder how will approach this kinda shot.. what i have in mind is create a tracking on the mirror and than create the geometry shape than fracture it and than create a hand shape geo and time it the movement hitting it and pulling field in it.

how will i material it too? if is mirror the shatter piece.

any other suggestion? i don't' know i am still new.. in this forums sorry for the grammar or english is my 3rd language.

thanks

The shattering part is pretty straightforward with DOPs and Glue RBD's etc. As for the rendering/reflections .. seems like you would need to make a close enough model of your friend, as well as the surrounding room to capture that in the reflections.

The walls of the room (as long as it's relatively square) could probably be done with simple flat texture from a photograph on a box sort of thing. The closer the viewer is to the person/character reflections the more accurate the modeling/lighting/texturing/animation would have to be on the character mesh.

You would only switch to the fractured mirror on the frame it was broken. So, that part would be done in compositing / masking / roto etc

That's my first inclination though, maybe there's a way simpler idea I'm not thinking of.

Edited by andrewlowell

is there a way i can import a video footage in the camera as projection? in houdini? i know how to do it in maya but not houdini

thanks

Add a UVtextureSOP to your geometry, and change the "Texture Type" drop-down from "Orthographic" to "Perspective From Camera".