Houdini Maya integration

flux

Hi,

well i m new to houdini using maya from last 6 years ..just saw some videos on houdini ..n i fell in love with it...

its pure node based workflow is great...

anyway ... i am trying to find any way so that i can integrate maya and houdini ...there is a bridge formed now as houdini 9.01 does offer .fbx support

but alot of things are still not supported like skinning ..etc..

second thing i believe,coz i havent tried it yet,is .rib format of renderman...that is a possibilty ...

is there any other way to export stuff like dynamics(particles/skinnig or baked ) from houdini to maya ....

Regards.

Hi,

anyway ... i am trying to find any way so that i can integrate maya and houdini ...there is a bridge formed now as houdini 9.01 does offer .fbx support but alot of things are still not supported like skinning ..etc..

Well, actually, our FBX impoter now supports everything except native NURBS (these are still brought in as triangulated meshes), including skinning, textures and materials, animation, vertex caches, etc.

You are probably thinking of the Houdini 9.1.124, which our Gold build. However, we also provide daily builds in the Download section of our website ( http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download ). Since FBX was still being actively worked on at the time of our Gold release, a lot of things have changed since then, so it is always better to use the latest Houdini version, currently 9.1.209, if you're doing any FBX import.

Edited by Oleg

Maya <-> Houdini is always an issue... it is the pipeline... There are various tools and techniques to exchange geometry and data between two packages...

I am not a pipeline expert... but you can always export *.chan files for cameras and motion... you can export point position data, point clouds etc for various tasks... you can import geometry catches from maya to run them through various DOPs and POPs tasks... You can read in *.OBJ sequences into Maya (needs a mel script), exported from Houdini...

It is a long list... and it depends on what are your needs...

Most of the facilities have their tiny tools that a part of their pipeline... So they can integrate various packages...