PaintBall Explode

Aaron Lieb

To do this simulation I have started with a DOPnet in which I have a RDBGlue geometry that flies towards a wall and splits open.

There are basically three issues that I have to tackle to make it look right.

1. I would like the paintBall rubber shell geometry to collapse like it is made of soft rubber and stick to the wall in the two pieces after it splits open.

2. Currently the fluid particles "inside of" the shell only travel with the shell because they have been given the same initial velocities.

The problem is that I would like them to be affected by the RDB solver of the shell so that I do not run in to problems later on.

3. I would like to obviously make the fluid particles splatter more realistically (with this issue I can probably find an example of this), but have been occupied

with 1 & 2 first.

I am pretty new to Houdini and would just like to know if anyone has any tips on how to create this effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just pointing toward an existing article or sidefx example that I did not see.

Thanks.

pballShell4.hipnc

Not able to check your hip file at the moment but...

1. RBD glue object is not really deformable. And if it's for one soft rubber shell, you do not need the Glue Object as that's for multiple input objects. Look at the Cloth Objects and Cloth solver, to see if they will do the trick.

2. I may not even simulate the particle fluids whilst the PB is in flight. I may only emit them at the moment of impact; saves me sim time. Unless the PB is like transparent and you need to see the liquid movement. Given that you may need to use Cloth to simulate the rubberness, could get tricky.

3. Play with noise fields and different parameters. It's all about look here. Plus, with particle fluids, the Particle Fluid Surface SOP has tons of options, on top of that you can perform SOP operations on the generated mesh.

GW

PS: If I ever return to the US for a longer haul, I am soooo getting a CCI Phantom.