Particle Wave - Bug?

Hi there,

I opened your file in 9.1.124 on windows and it seems to work fine. I can't test it with the very last build right now.

Does the file not open at all? It was created using houdini 9.0.

Is it the case for all files or just that one?

(Could you let me know if the other files from other exercises don't open as well?) If this problem persists with other people using the new version I will talk to Jason asap.

Hope it has not caused too much inconvenience. -perhaps try opening it on 9.1.124. I'll try it out with 9.1.244 as soon as I can.

There seems to be a bug going on inside the foreach node. Since I tested it and it works with Houdini 9.0 and 9.1.124 I assume something since then was changed to the foreach. I'll pass on this example to sidefx and find out more about what is going on.

In the meantime I took the operators outside of the loop so you can continue with the exercise as temporary solution. - see attachement.

particle_wave_03_no_loop.hipnc

After digging around it seems the expressions are changed on the "each" node and the stamp() expression is more strict in the returning datatype in h9.1.244.

I attached a modified working and commented version. So it is not a bug, just a change in expressions/workflow since h9.1.124.

Since this change has taken place on the "each" node it will most likely be propagated in any of the projects that are using the foreach node. I will change the other source files and ask for Jason to make them available for download from 3dbuzz website. In the meantime everything should work fine with h9.1.124 so I recommend using that for now. The general principles should be clear even though the default expressions on the each node changed. Just rebuilt the network by laying down a new foreach node (and inside you will see the expressions on the each node are different from the old ones.). There was no way this could have been foreseen when the content was created so I hope you understand it is just the way software versions change that can require tools/workflows to be updated too.

For the stamp(): I changed the stamp() on the delete node from stamp("..","FORVALUE","") -which potentially returns a string if it can't find the FORVALUE- to stamp("..","FORVALUE",0) -which returns an int if it can't find FORVALUE-

See the attachement for the updated file.

particle_wave_03_h9.1.244_update.hipnc

Edited by pclaes

After digging around it seems the expressions are changed on the "each" node and the stamp() expression is more strict in the returning datatype in h9.1.244.

I attached a modified working and commented version. So it is not a bug, just a change in expressions/workflow since h9.1.124.

Since this change has taken place on the "each" node it will most likely be propagated in any of the projects that are using the foreach node. I will change the other source files and ask for Jason to make them available for download from 3dbuzz website. In the meantime everything should work fine with h9.1.124 so I recommend using that for now. The general principles should be clear even though the default expressions on the each node changed. Just rebuilt the network by laying down a new foreach node (and inside you will see the expressions on the each node are different from the old ones.). There was no way this could have been foreseen when the content was created so I hope you understand it is just the way software versions change that can require tools/workflows to be updated too.

For the stamp(): I changed the stamp() on the delete node from stamp("..","FORVALUE","") -which potentially returns a string if it can't find the FORVALUE- to stamp("..","FORVALUE",0) -which returns an int if it can't find FORVALUE-

See the attachement for the updated file.

Hi Peter...

Yeah.. the file works fine on 9.1.179 but not on the latest production build 9.1.244.

Looks like it is all working now. Thank you very much for the fix and the explanation. I'll let you know if I find any other problems with your DVD. (Hopefully not)

Cheers