particle system as template?

brooklynz

A while back I thought i saw in a tutorial that its possible to have one pop network defined in one place and reference that to have multiple particle network instances with different parameters. I thought it was a different mechanism than just making a subnetwork and stamping it -- although i could be wrong. Sorry if I am so vague; I am hoping maybe someone might have a better idea of what I am thinking about or point me to the tutorial I believe I saw...

Build your pop network in /part/popnet1 then reference it in SOPs using a POP Merge SOP.

You can override the four inputs in to the POP Merge SOP with varying attributes and groups but you can't vary the parameters inside the POP network in /part/popnet1.

In other words you can only manipulate the behaviour inside the referenced POP rules with attributes and groups only.

Note: You really have to watch your world object spaces. It is best to use Object Merge SOPs with Transform Object set to "." to feed in the the POP Merge SOPs. It is this reason (and the resultant confusion) that everyone uses POP Network SOPs "in-place" in the object.