baking shadows...

I'm not sure I understand this feature in houdini, and I've never used baking before, so... here's my problem (after reading and trying out all I could find about baking in houdini):

I have clean non-overlapping UVs, and in a mantra node I change the command to "mantra -u /obj/whateverobject", the result is.... something like... some sort of baking.... it does give me a texture that I could add to my object, but besides the fact that it has a lot of seams, it renders the shadows only as seen from the camera (I read the wiki, there are some tips on how to minimize the seams.... issue... I wonder if you can get rid of them completely... I haven't tried this yet, because I didn't get that far... )

so. as I move the camera around the object, I get different baking results, based on the camera angle (I do have a light in the scene btw, I'm not using the default headlight). as I said, I don't have experience with baking, but this to me doesn't look at all like baking, I should have shadows and shading all over my object, not only on the parts that are visible to the camera.

any ideas, links...

thanks in advance :)

vm