Modeling for Shattered Glass

Timm Dapper

Hi there!

I want to have glass shatter in a pretty specific way. Art direction is probably going to be very strict, about the shattering pattern, so I tried to figure out a way that let's me define the pieces and then get the geometry.

My current approach is to have a planar object edited so that every polygon of the object is one piece of shattered glass later on. My problem really is to extrude these pieces afterwards and get connectivity right so that the geometry actually is correct for having it break apart later on. It seems that e.g. inner edges don't get extrusion boundaries (even though I tried disconnecting the edged using a cusp).

I attached the file (containing a simple RBD sim to show what's going on), would be great if somebody could give me a pointer into the right direction...

Best

Timm

shatter.hip

Hello Timm,

Let me first say that I am sort of still new at Houdini. So I dont know if what I did is the most efficient way, it just happens to be the way I solved it :D

Now what I did was added a primitive SOP and added color attributes. I then added a partition sop to create groups based on those colored prims. I then dropped down a for each sop which added an extrude to each group. After that I re-applied a partition sop to add the extruded pieces to each of the groups.

I hope that works out for you!

~Ilan

shatter_IG.hipnc

Edited by wick3dParticle

I just had to do something very similar on Mummy 3, with wooden boards also. The art direction needed to be established in a very specific way upfront. .. So I ended up making a Digital Asset that would assign an object level pivot to each piece of glass. I then hand-animated/posed the first 10-20 frames of impact; which created very specific and controlled fractures, and had a switch on each peice for the "sim time" The time they would get added to an RBD fractured object, in other words "released" into the sim.

So, this allowed for the best of both words .. very specific impact, very natural falling and spinning motions. There was also controls to further fracture the chunks a second time to break that glass into tiny pieces after the first simulation.

But, aside from all that .. I would definatly make the geometry first before simulation, and not try to assign stuff later on.

Hi there!

I want to have glass shatter in a pretty specific way. Art direction is probably going to be very strict, about the shattering pattern, so I tried to figure out a way that let's me define the pieces and then get the geometry.

My current approach is to have a planar object edited so that every polygon of the object is one piece of shattered glass later on. My problem really is to extrude these pieces afterwards and get connectivity right so that the geometry actually is correct for having it break apart later on. It seems that e.g. inner edges don't get extrusion boundaries (even though I tried disconnecting the edged using a cusp).

I attached the file (containing a simple RBD sim to show what's going on), would be great if somebody could give me a pointer into the right direction...

Best

Timm