Which laptop to run Houdini

I'm looking for a laptop that can run Houdini (8-9.5) pretty smoothly, and I'm looking at the Vaio FZ series. It has a fast processor, up to 4gb ram, and NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT video card. Has anyone ran Houdini with a Sony Vaio with those specs before? I want to make sure that I am making the right choice because the last laptop I purchased to use Houdini for did not have the right video card. Or if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. My budget is under $1000. Thanks.

Hi Diana, I think Houdini should be able to run ok with 8400M... You may or may not be able to do heavy-duty project with it, but for learning or developing stuff, FZ is probably more than enough.

On a side note, I installed Houdini on VMWare out of curiosity and to my surprise, it actually ran. Not great, but it ran and I can do something light with it.

Hi there. I would opt for the GeForce 8400 there over the built-in graphics card x3100. 8400 should probably be enough for you to play around with Houdini and possibly do some personal project with it, I am guessing. I am so out of loop with most of the hardware sstuff, so I usually don't bother much with what the chipset is except that it doesn't impede me, I'd be okay. :)

I guess depending on what chipset you're talking about. PM962 or GM965 are probably the chipsets that control various IOs/memory/audios and other controllers... like a pipeline to various part of the hardware component. Anyways, I havn't had to think much about chipset, what I just said could be totally wrong...