Fluids from scratch!

ITdreamer

Hi, I'm trying to create liquid fluids from source object from scratch, without using shelf (as in Houdini Fluid FX Integration For TD's). Did everything as he showed, but it dosn't work.

I've created object, converted using isoffset to SDF Volume, created liquid container, created fluids object, fluid solver, gravity. Fluids began to fall down in case of gravity, and everything is ok. But I can't make the source object to be a fluid source. I've created static object, merged with fluid object and changed relationship to source relationship. But everything was the same.

What I was doing wrong?

Maybe the problem is that I have 9.1.244, and he uses 9.5?

Here is my simple scene.

Fluids_Test.hip

Edited by ITdreamer

• 1 year later...

Maybe the problem is that I have 9.1.244, and he uses 9.5?

Hi,

I have this exact same problem, but with Houdini 10 (10.0.374).

Now, I've noticed H10 uses a different approach with its shelf script (Source from Objects). Its not using an isoOffset's sign distance field at all, but all of Brian Goodwin's tutorials (cmivfx vluidfx) are based on this technique. And yes, I've tried it with H9.5 and everything works as expected.

I tried searching in Houdini Journal compatibility list from 9.5.* to 10.* but couldn't find any mention of a change that would break downstream compatibility as far as any of the involved nodes go (isoOffset, staticObject, fluidSolver, fluidObject).

Though one can move on copying the new H10 shelf script method for sourcing fluid from objects, it would be nice to shed some light onto this as I suspect there might be some little knob somewhere which would make Brian's method workable again, but I can't find it.

I have found that you have to add merge node for the source after the fluid solver object, whereas Brian puts this straight after the fluid object. I'm using H10.

Chris

Hey,

I've merged the staticObject _after_ the fluidSolver and it works.

I'm glad I'll be able to follow through the tut without hacking :)

Thanks!